FAQs for Liability Insurance

What is liability insurance?

Liability insurance is a defensive cover that protects against claim made against you, including the cost of legal fees. The LTA has arranged the following classes of insurance cover for the protection of its constituents, including members, affiliated coaches and registered places to play:

  • PUBLIC LIABILITY: Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared activities.
  • PRODUCT LIABILITY: Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of any goods sold or supplied.
  • PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY: Professional Indemnity cover is provided to protect coaches for claims arising out of Errors or Omissions in respect of the professional advice that they give whilst coaching.
  • LIBEL AND SLANDER: Includes defamation.
  • OWNER'S LIABILITY: Protection against liability arising out of the use, ownership or possession of any club premises.
  • DIRECTORS' & OFFICERS' LIABILITY: Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting in mismanagement.

Cover includes member-to-member liability, meaning that the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them. 

Back to top ^

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit on the policy.

Back to top ^

What activities are covered?

The policies provide cover for all activities recognised by the LTA, which includes playing, training for and competing in tennis and racket sports at a club or registered place to play or competition. 

Registered places to play are covered for their activities, including adminsitrative functions, competition organising and social activities. Cover is exended to include some multi-sports (see FAQs for places to play for more details).

Back to top ^

What significant exclusions and limitations apply?

  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, damage to any data
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers). This is covered under the Employers' Liability insurance provided for places to play
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Pollution, unless caused by a sudden identifiable, unintended and unexpected incident
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing LTA on a official trip
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Damage to products supplied and work and the repair, replacement or recall of same work
  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, asbestos
  • Repair of defects in premises disposed of
  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, damage to any data
  • Nuclear risks
  • War risks
  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Infringement, use or disclosure of a patent
  • Abuse - any party who commits, condones or ignores any abuse or molesation
  • Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced. 
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately

Back to top ^

What is meant by claims made?

This means that the policy provides cover for those claims reported during the period of insurance (rather than the policy that was in force at the time of the incident).

Back to top ^

Why is the limit of indemnity £60m?

In the event of a claim your limit of indemnity is the maximum your policy will pay for damages. We believe that £60m is the minimum amount of cover to provide you with peace of mind in the event that you were held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury to an individual and we have already seem sports related claims that have exceeded £5m. As the LTA and its constituents often arrange large events with many visitors, there is the potential for a catastrophic incident that would injure several people at once and the £60m limit of indemnity is in place in case of this eventuality.

Back to top ^

Why is Professional Indemnity included?

Professional Indemnity provides cover for incidents that result from negligent advice. If you are a coach, this cover will protect you in the event that an injury results from your negligent act or omission in your coaching.

Back to top ^

Why is Libel and Slander cover included?

There have been cases of members of sports clubs having disputes. Posts on web sites and details contained in emails could be potentially libellous, for example, and, should your club arrange cover under the sports & recreation liability scheme, this section of cover will protect you if it is alleged that you have defamed someone else in good faith.

Back to top ^

What do I do if an incident occurs?

You should immediately record relevant information concerning incidents involving a fatality, an injury involving either referral to or actual hospital treatment, in your accident book. These incidents, and any allegations of libel / slander, any allegations of professional negligence, i.e. arising out of tuition, coaching or advice given, any investigation under any child protection legislation or any circumstance involving damage to third party property, should be reported to Howden immediately.  

If there is a verbal / written allegation against you, you should advise Howden immediately, and pass on any documentation you may have received. Click here for more details.

Back to top ^

Does the cover include Legal Expenses?

Yes but only for:

  • Legal expenses for defence of civil actions
  • Legal defence costs are included for the defence of criminal actions brought in respect of a breach of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and Section II of the Consumer Protection Act 1987. The limit of indemnity is £250,000. 

Back to top ^

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no policy excesses in resepct of a liability claim made against you. 

Back to top ^

If I am injured can I claim from the policy?

No, if you are injured you should seek legal advice on how to pursue a claim against the person(s) responsible for causing the injury.

Back to top ^

Does the policy cover anyone who is not defined as a UK resident?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for recognised activities in both the UK and overseas (but excluding USA and Canada), provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised by the LTA (i.e. to a training camp or to take part in a recognised competition).

Overseas coaches working on a temporary basis in the UK will have to extend their liability cover from their home country to cover their activities in the UK.

A member of an LTA registered place to play who lives permanently abroad will, however, be covered whilst they are in the UK and participating in the activities of their club.

Back to top ^

Who can submit an incident report?

If you are involved in an incident where you have injured someone else or caused damage to property, you should advise us as soon as possible.

Back to top ^